Tomato Soup with Homemade Olive Oil Croutons
Prep time: 10 minutes
- 4 Tomatoes
- 3 Grilled red bell peppers in oil
- 1 Shallot
- ½ Cup Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil, plus additional for brushing on bread
- 3 Tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 Clove garlic
- 10 Basil leaves
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 4 slices crusty bread
- Cut small cross in bottom of tomatoes and submerge in boiling water 30 seconds.
- Let tomatoes cool in ice water 30 seconds then remove skins.
- In blender, blend tomatoes, red bell peppers, shallot, extra-virgin olive oil, vinegar, garlic, basil, salt and pepper, to taste, until mixture is smooth.
- Add mixture to large pot and heat, stirring frequently.
- Cut bread slices, brush with olive oil and grill 2 minutes per side over medium-high heat until visible grill marks have formed.
Total time: 20 minutes
Makes 9 servings
- 2 eggs
- 4½ ounces (about ⅔ cup) sugar
- 4½ ounces (about ½ cup + 1 tablespoon) Bertolli Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 5¼ ounces (2/3 cup) pumpkin puree
- 4½ ounces (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- ⅓ ounce (about 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon) cocoa powder
- ⅛ ounce (a generous ½ teaspoon) salt
- 1/10 ounce (1/2 teaspoon) baking powder
- Heat oven to 350 F.
- Mix eggs with sugar thoroughly and beat until bubbles form. Slowly add in olive oil while continuing to stir mixture.
- Add flour, cocoa powder, salt, pumpkin and baking powder; using whisk, mix well.
- Pour into cake mold lined with baking paper and bake 15 minutes.
- Let cool and remove cake from mold.