Before logging all those miles on your family road trip this summer, remember to:
- Beat the Heat: Inspect the radiator, pressure cap, belts, and hoses to make sure they are in good shape with no signs of blisters, cracks, or cuts in the rubber.
- Hydrate Your Vehicle: Check fluid levels: brake, automatic transmission, power steering, windshield washer and coolant. Make sure each reservoir is full and if you see any sign of fluid leakage, take your vehicle in to be serviced.
- Check the air pressure in all tires, including the spare,
- Make sure the wiper blades are functioning properly,
- Check battery life and inspect batteries and battery cables,
- Inspect brake pads and linings for wear; change the oil and filter according to manufacturer’s service interval specifications, and
- Test the headlights, brake lights, turn signals, emergency flashers and interior lights
Even if you’ve prepared your vehicle for summer travel, it never hurts to have a "just in case" kit in your trunk. Your emergency kit should include:
- Jumper cables
- Emergency flat tire repair
- Gloves, blankets and towels
- Hazard triangle, road flares, brightly colored distress sign, or "Help" or "Call Police" flag
- Screwdrivers and wrenches
- First aid kit
- Cell phone and charger
- Water for both the car radiator and your family
- High-calorie, non-perishable food
Traveling with kids:
- Always use proper safety restraints
- Use the long drive as teaching moments about safe driving
- Pack a cooler with healthy snacks like water, fruit, nuts and granola
- Stop every few hours to let the kids stretch their legs
- Adults should take the time to exit the vehicle and stretch too. If you become drowsy, don’t hesitate to pull over to a safe location and rest until you feel able to continue the drive
- Use electronic devices to help keep away the boredom on the long drives
- See more here.
State Farm cares about you and your family and would love to giveaway ONE summer trunk safety makeover kits, worth $50 in value. Entrant can be from the USA or Canada.
A random draw will be made by Random.org on July 13, 2014 from all entries received.
Tell me if you already carry a road emergency kit in your car or truck. As well, please leave your email.
Grab our button
Tweet this giveaway
Follow us on Twitter
Best of luck to all!